This is a fairly easy recipe that I thought up for tonight’s dinner, using all fresh ingredients!
What you’ll need:
– 1 pound ground sausage (I got some that had Italian seasoning already at the meat counter of my local grocery store)
– 1 tablespoon olive oil
– 1 yellow squash, cubed
– 1 zucchini, cubed
– 2 cloves garlic, diced finely
– 5 green onions, diced
– 1 cup baby spinach leaves, shredded
– 1 teaspoon fresh rosemary, chopped finely
– 1 15 oz can tomato sauce, plus 1/4 can of water
– 1/2 cup red wine (I used Paisano)
– 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
– salt and pepper (I used freshly ground pepper and pink Himalayan salt)
– 2 cups white rice, cooked
Put the olive oil in a large skillet. Make 1-inch balls from the sausage by rolling the meat between your hands and place them in the skillet. Brown the meatballs on high heat. Add the onion and garlic after the meat is browned, turn the heat down to medium. Once the garlic and onions are sautéed, add the zucchini and squash until lightly browned. Add the rosemary and spinach, stir well. Pour in the wine and balsamic vinegar, stir and allow the sauce to thicken for a couple minutes. Add the tomato sauce and water, salt andpepper, stir well, then turn the heat down to low. Let simmer about 5 minutes, then serve over hot rice.