Pizza is the one food I could eat every single day. Not the greasy fast food pizza, or the preservative-laden frozen pizza. I’m talking about the totally from-scratch, takes 2 hours start-to-finish to make pizza! I guarantee, you’ll never look at those other pizzas the same way again.
What you’ll need:
– 2 1/4 teaspoon yeast
– 1 tsp sugar
– 1 cup warm water
– 1 Tbsp oil (I prefer olive oil)
– 1/2 tsp salt
– 2 1/2 cups flour (plus extra for kneading)
– 1 small can tomato paste
– 1 cup water (more or less, depending on how thick you like your sauce to be)
– seasonings (salt, pepper, garlic, onion, basil, oregano, parsley…fresh tastes best, dried will work!)
Let your imagination go wild! Here’s what we put on ours…
– mozzarella cheese
– bell peppers
– red onion
1) In a large bowl, mix the yeast and sugar. Add the warm water and stir with a whisk or fork until there are no more lumps. Let this mixture sit until the top of it is covered with foamy bubbles.
2) Stir in oil and salt, then add the flour. After I’ve stirred as much as is easy to do, I use my hands to mix the rest!
3) Knead the dough in the bowl until it is smooth and pulls apart like elastic. You’ll probably have to add more flour to it in this step; my dough is usually sticky at this point.
4) Cover the bowl and place in a warm spot to rise for about 15 minutes (like on top of the stove while the oven preheats to 375 degrees!).
5) While the dough is rising, make your sauce! Spoon the tomato paste into a small saucepan, add water while the heat is on low until the sauce is the consistency that you like for your pizza. Then add whatever seasonings you like. Continue to heat on low until the dough is ready.
6) When the dough has risen, punch it down and knead again about 10 times. *If your cast iron skillet is well-seasoned, no oil is necessary. If you’re not sure, add a bit of oil, because pizza dough loves to stick!* Spread the dough evenly on the bottom of the pan, and about halfway up the sides.
7) Remove the sauce from the heat and spread it on the dough…*careful, it’ll be hot!*
8) Add all your toppings, ending with the cheese on top.
9) Bake at 375 for about 20-30 minutes, this will depend on how many toppings you put on your pizza.